ACRL

College & Research Libraries News

News from the field

Acquisitions

Duke University, Durham, North Carolina,

has received the archives of the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency, the country’s oldest such firm. The gift includes a three-year, $100,000 grant from the J. Walter Thompson Foundation to support the processing and maintenance of the archives. Contained among more than three million items are diaries, correspondence and research papers from the company’s beginnings, documenting the growth of the advertising industry and the worldwide expansion of American corporations. Some 1.5 million print advertisements, from J. Walter Thompson and its competitors, make up the bulk of the archive. Also included are scripts of radio shows dating from the 1920s, when the scripts as well as the ads were written by agencies. Featured are programs starring Bing Crosby, Edgar Bergen, and Rudy Vallee, as well as several radio soap operas. Also of note is a letter from Eleanor Roosevelt in which she refuses to endorse a product in an ad campaign because she would have been identified only as the wife of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The archive’s extensive market- research materials, including analysis of foreign markets, will be of particular interest to scholars in sociology and psychology.

Hellenic College/Holy Cross Greek Orthodox

School of Theology, Brookline, Massachusetts, has received the library of Nick John Topetzes, a retired Veterans’ Administration official and former professor at the University of Wisconsin. The School’s Cotsidas-Tonna Library received more than 2,000 books and $1,000 to maintain the collection.

The Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.,

has acquired a collection of music and literary manuscripts of Karl Weigl, an Austrian composer who immigrated to the United States in 1938. The gift, from the late Hans Moldenhauer of Spokane, Washington, includes more than 7,000 pages of sketches and complete manuscripts of Weigl’s works spanning his entire career. Included is his prize-winning symphonic cantata, Weltfeier, and his last symphony. The material, most of which is unpublished, will be added to the Moldenhauer Archives, established in 1986.

Michigan State University, East Lansing, has

acquired a 1517 edition of the Libro della natura di cavalli by Giordano Ruffo, stablemaster at the Italian court of Frederick II. This widely translated work on the care and breeding of horses is regarded as the starting point for the regeneration of Western veterinary medicine during the Renaissance, borrowing heavily from Arabic sources.

The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York

City, has acquired the papers of noted cancer researcher Charlotte Friend, who died in January 1987 while a member of the staff. Friend is chiefly known for her 1956 discovery of a virus that causes leukemia in mice, made at a time when it was considered unlikely that viruses could be linked to human cancers. The collection, spanning 1939 to 1987, consists of correspondence, internal memoranda, speeches, clippings, reprints and awards documenting Friend’s work and outside professional activities, and includes files on her work with the National Cancer Institute, the National Academy of Science, and the National Institute of Health. Also included is a collection of correspondence with other scientists as well as personal correspondence. The papers, housed in the Medical Center Archives, do not contain research notebooks or specimens, which have been retained by the Center for Experimental Cell Biology at Mount Sinai.

The State University of New York at Albany

has acquired the literary manuscripts of Kurt Bauchwitz (1890-1974), a German emigré poet who practiced law in his native Halle, Germany, and later in Milton, Massachusetts. Bauchwitz is best known for his 1920 volume Der Lebendige. His papers include manuscript poetry written in Tokyo in 1940 and in the United States from 1941 until his death. In later life Bauchwitz wrote in English under the pseudonym Roy C. Bates. The material will be housed as part of the German Emigré Collection in the Department of Special Collections.

The University of California, Los Angeles, has

acquired at auction seven incunabula, using funds from the Ahmanson Foundation. Previously owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles as part of the Estelle Doheny collection, the volumes, all printed before 1501, are housed in Special Collections in the University Research Library. The books include a work by Thomas Aquinas printed in Italy in 1470 by Sweynheym and Pannartz, the two German printers who originally brought the art of printing to Italy. Also purchased were four volumes printed in Venice in the late 1400s by Nicolas Jenson. Six of the books were printed in Italy; the seventh was printed in Germany by a printer whose outstanding work was done in Italy. One is in Italian and the remainder are in Latin.

The University of Illinois at Chicago has been

given the papers and library of structural engineer William F. Schmidt, who prepared the engineering designs of several Chicago landmarks. Schmidt is considered a pioneer in the use of flat plate design for apartment and office buildings and in the use of high-strength concrete, and is the author of Ulti- mate Strength Design Simplified—An Equivalent Stress Method. The collection contains books on engineering; the business archive of his company,

William F. Schmidt and Associates; personal papers; and a complete file on the Illinois and Chicago Property Owner’s League, consisting of newsletters, newspaper clippings, Congressional testimony, copies of all League publications, and radio scripts.

•The University of Texas at Arlington’s Departmentof Special Collections has received a number of local and regional manuscript and archive collections including the 1955-1986 records of the Southwest Region of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization, once headquartered in Dallas. The bulk of the archive dates from 1978 and comprises more than 39 linear feet. Of special note are grievance reports, second career training program information, accident reports and other material focusing on problems that led to a nationwide PATCO strike on August 3,1981. Material related to the strike includes newspaper articles, newsletters giving a day-by-day account of the strike, photographs, instructions for picketers, petitions for the Imprisoned Controllers Family Support Fund, song sheets, and records on scab and rabbit employees (rabbits were PATCO members who had agreed to strike but remained on the job). The post-strike files contain a preponderance of legal documents, especially appeals from fired air traffic controllers desiring reinstatement, transcripts of Merit Systems Protection Board hearings, and documents relating to the PATCO bankruptcy and decertification.

Grants

Brown University’s John Carter Brown Library, Providence, Rhode Island, has received a $203,700 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities for continuing work on its European Americana project. The project is a six- volume guide to books about America, North and South, that were printed in Europe between 1493 and 1750. Three volumes have been published, with the fourth expected in the fall of this year. Intended to be an amplification and distillation of Joseph Sabin’s Bibliotheca Americana, the project will increase the quantity of known Americana by about 300% . It is expected to be finished in 1990.

Dalhousie University’s School of Library and

Information Studies, Halifax, Nova Scotia, has been awarded a grant of $52,117 from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada for completion of the Nova Scotian Newspaper project. The grant covers a ten-month period and will result in a union list of approximately 1,300 newspapers published since 1752. Researchers have examined the holdings of some 120 repositories throughout the province.

The Houston Area Research Library Consortium, Texas, has been awarded an LSCA Title III grant of $107,509 to enter a HARLiC Union List of Serials into the Texas Statewide Union List of Serials. The holdings of the Houston Public Library, the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center, Prairie View A&M University, Texas Southern University, the University of Houston and the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston will be entered into the Union List. The AMIGOS Bibliographic Council, Inc., is overseeing the project.

•Johns Hopkins University’s Milton S. EisenhowerLibrary, Baltimore, Maryland, has been awarded a $1 million NEH challenge grant to improve its collections in the humanities. The grant, one of a total of 29 awarded for a total of $12.2 million, specifies that the Library must raise an additional $4 million over the next four years. Brown plans to use the majority of the money for a permanent endowment dedicated to acquisitions and preservation.

•The Monterey Bay Area Cooperative Library

System, California, has received a $148,800 LSCA Title III grant to produce a regional union catalog on CD-BOM. Eight pilot state libraries will contribute to the database. The system is a diverse consortium encompassing public, school, academic and federal libraries.

•The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, has received a $250,000 grant from the Canadian Ministry of Advanced Education and Job Training for an automation upgrade and network project. The money will be used to increase the capacity of the UBC mainframe computer, to provide Simon Fraser University and the University of Victoria with terminals to access the UBC online files, to give UBC faculty online access to the databases, and to install eight to twelve public workstations.

The University of California, Davis, has received two endowments totalling $383,920 for the purchase of library materials in zoology. The funds are the bequest of the estate of Tracy I. Storer, late professor and founder of the Department of Zoology, and his wife, Ruth Risdon Storer, a pediatrician. The endowments are the largest gift funds ever received by the library.

•The University of Southern California, Los

Angeles, has received a $2.5 million grant from the Weingart Foundation of Los Angeles for construction of a new Teaching Library on the University Park campus. The 24-hour facility will contain periodicals, reference, and reserve sections, combining them into an integrated unit at a central location in the library. The five-story building will also house a core collection of 200,000 volumes related to current instruction. A major feature will be hundreds of individual computer and audiovisual workstations which will provide greater access to library databases and collections than is presently available. The grant is part of a university-wide campaign to raise $557 million by 1990.

The University of Illinois, Urbana-

Champaign, has been awarded an NEH challenge grant of $1 million to establish an endowment for the purchase of materials in the humanities, preservation, and improving scholars’ access to collections. The library plans to hire additional staff for preservation microfilming and cataloging of holdings onto national databases. Under the terms of the grant, the University must raise an additional $3 million in four years.

•The University of Texas at El Paso has received

$1,642,287 from the estate of Lucille B. Pillow of El Paso to establish a library endowment. Funds from the endowment, the largest single gift in the library’s history, will be used to buy new books and other materials. Pillow, who died in 1986, was a graduate of the College of Mines and Metallurgy (now UT El Paso) and taught sociology at the University in the 1950s. ■ ■

Copyright © American Library Association

Article Views (Last 12 Months)

No data available

Contact ACRL for article usage statistics from 2010-April 2017.

Article Views (By Year/Month)

2022
January: 0
February: 0
March: 1
April: 2
May: 3
June: 2
July: 2
August: 1
2021
January: 0
February: 3
March: 3
April: 3
May: 0
June: 2
July: 0
August: 1
September: 4
October: 3
November: 0
December: 0
2020
January: 0
February: 4
March: 2
April: 2
May: 1
June: 2
July: 1
August: 0
September: 3
October: 3
November: 0
December: 3