ACRL

College & Research Libraries News

News from the Field

Acquisitions

• The Popular Culture Library at Bowling Green State University has recently acquired 335 boxes (more than 400 linear feet) of original scripts for television soap operas, production documentation, and commercial materials from the Procter and Gamble Company of Cincinnati, Ohio. Procter and Gamble was largely responsible for establishing television soap operas. The scripts date from as early as 1954 and include long, consecutive runs of shows such as Edge of Night, Another World, Search for Tomorrow, and The Guiding Light. The donation also includes shorter runs of television scripts from the daytime serials For Richer, For Poorer; Young Doctor Malone; The Loretta Young Show; and From these Roots.

• The Brandeis University Libraries Special Collections Department has received the personal archives of the late Professor Nahum N. Glatzer, as a gift from the family. Glatzer, a noted scholar of Jewish history and thought, was the founding chairman of the Judaic Studies Department at Brandeis. His publications included biographies of the Ger- man-Jewish scholars Leopold Zunz and Franz Rosenweig. The archives include his correspondence, manuscripts of his published works, lecture notes, and offprints.

• The Carnegie Mellon University Archives has acquired the papers of William Ball, founder and artistic director of the American Conservatory Theater (ACT). The collection includes posters, videotapes of ACT performances, programs, photographs, prompt books, news clippings, and correspondence from many famous and soon-to-be- famous people. Ball, a graduate of Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie Mellon University), was awarded an honorary doctorate of fine arts degree by Carnegie Mellon in 1979.

• The Hartwick College Archives, Oneonta, New York has acquired the Judge William Cooper papers, which are now available for scholarly research. These papers were donated to the Archives in June 1990 as stipulated in the will of Dr. Paul Fenimore Cooper Jr. William Cooper (1754- 1809), the founder of Cooperstown, New York, and the father of James Fenimore Cooper, was the first judge of Otsego County and a leading political arbiter of upstate New York during the 1790s. He was twice elected to Congress as a Federalist. As a major land developor for the region, he not only bought and sold property for himself but was a land agent for numerous other large patents. This collection, containing 5,000 documents, includes William Cooper’s business papers, correspondence, maps and land surveys, business and estate papers of his heirs, and of his sons Isaac, William, and Richard. For more information: Archives, Stevens-German Library, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY 13820; 607-431-4450.

• The Bobst Library at New York University has received more than 2,500 jazz LPs from Bernard Brightman, president of Stash Records. The work of virtually every major jazz artist is included, and Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Art Tatum, and Fats Waller are particularly well represented in the collection. This is the first major donation of its kind that NYU has received, and it will serve as the nucleus of a permanent, comprehensive jazz collection at the library. Brightman, a long-time Greenwich Village resident, said “I was shocked to discover that there was no research-level jazz collection downtown. It’s impossible for me to imagine the Village without jazz and vice versa…. I hope that this collection will contribute to jazz studies, not only in NYU’s curriculum, but at other institutions associated with the University.” The collection will be housed at Bobst Library’s Avery Fisher Center for Music and Media.

• The George Arents Research Library of Syracuse University has recently acquired a major collection of correspondence between Albert Schweitzer and his wife Helene. The acquisition of 1,324 letters and related materials—from Schweitzer’s daughter Rhena Schweitzer Miller— date from 1900-39 and describe in detail not only Schweitzer but his wife as well. The acquisition was made possible through an anonymous donor, in honor of Wharton Miller, former director of Syracuse University Libraries.

• The University of California, San Diego, received of an archival copy of the Chinese Character Codes for Information Interchange (CCCII) from the Council for Cultural Planning and Development of Taiwan. The gift consists of photocopies of about 74,000 Chinese character graphemes in four different fonts on paper, their digitized patterns on magnetic tapes; a computer database of linguistic attributes, indexes, and ten years of publications by the Chinese Characters Analysis Group. The Group was formed in 1979 to identify and code a definitive set of Chinese characters for the purpose of information exchange. Beginning in 1980 with 4,808 characters, the group reached 74,000 characters in 1991. The project is one of the largest lexicographic efforts ever undertaken in regard to Chinese characters.

• The University of Missouri-Columbia Libraries have acquired the papers of Vincent T. Hamlin and Thomas B. Harris for its Comic Art Collection. Hamlin created the comic strip “Alley Oop” in 1933. The Hamlin collection includes extensive files of photographs, correspondence, syndicate-produced promotional material, and original cartoon art. The collection also documents Alley Oop in World War II service, the Broadway musical “Alley Oop,” the Alley Oop theme park in Iraan, Texas, and a proposed but not produced Alley Oop animated cartoon. Harris was the author of “Boots and Her Buddies” continuities in the 1950s. The comic strip “Boots and Her Buddies” was created in 1924 by Edgar Everett (Abe) Martin, who continued it for more than 30 years. The Harris papers contain continuities, correspondence between Harris and Martin and between Harris and the syndicate, clippings of the strips, and original cartoons from 1945-1959.

• The University of Pittsburgh is the recipient of a gift collection from the Polish National Alliance (PNA), a fraternal organization headquartered in Chicago. PNA has selected Hillman Library as the new home of the Polish Collection formerly housed in the library of Alliance College in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania, which was closed recently. The 45,000 items with strong historical, political, and cultural emphases, will strengthen the Polish Collection that has already been developed in Hillman Library, enhancing the resources of the Center for Russian and East European Studies and the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures. The Alliance College Polish Collection will also serve as a resource for the regional and national Polish-American community. The books, journals, newspapers, pamphlets, clippings, records, and music scores in this collection were gathered together over a long period of time for the purpose of educating Polish-Ameri- cans about their historical and cultural heritage.

• Alex Haley has announced that he is donating his personal papers to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. These include the manuscripts of Roots and The Autobiography of Malcolm X. The papers will be housed in the Special Collections Section of Hoskins Library and will be available for use after Haley’s death. “He’s a major literary figure who has made his home in Tennessee,” said library dean Paula Kaufman. “It’s appropriate that his papers are housed here at a major research institution.” An adjunct professor of communications at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Haley has won the Pulizter Prize for Literature and the National Book Award.

• The Special Collections Division of The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries has acquired three major collections relating to the history of Mexico in the 19th century. They include: “The Peón Family Papers,” which date from 1833-1933 and consist of 30 boxes of material concerning the business and personal correspondence of Simon Peón Cano (1808-1869) and his family, and the administrative records of the haciendas and other commercial establishments owned by the family; “The Manuel González Papers” date from 1866-1892 and include six boxes of materia] reflecting the political, military, and business career of González. Bom in 1833, González was a prominent liberal who fought beside Benito Juárez to expel the French in the late 1860s and joined Porfirio Diaz to overthrow the conservative national government in the 1870s. He was elected president in 1880; he died in 1893. These papers include military records for some of the key campaigns the liberal forces waged against the conservative elements in the country. “The José Salazar Ilarregi Papers” date from November 1866-July 1867 and include two boxes of material documenting Salazar’s second term as Emperor Maximil- lian’s Imperial Commissioner for Yucatán and his unsuccessful attempts to hold Mérida, Yucatán’s capital, against the attacks of the Republican Army under General Manuel Cepeda Peraza.

• The University of Virginia has been given the remainder of the personal library of Clifton Waller Barrett, which has been housed at the University since 1960. Estimated at $25 million, the Barrett Library is the largest gift in University of Virginia history. The library consists of 112,000 manuscripts and 35,000 books of American literature, including the handwritten originals of The Red Badge of Courage, Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, and the only known copy of a fiction manuscript by novelist Willa Cather. By all accounts, the library is strikingly complete. Barrett, who turned 90 June 1,1991, began building his library at a time when American literature was not taught at major universities. He has said that his goal was to obtain the first editions and major manuscripts of American authors since the Revolutionary War. University of Virginia librarian Ray W. Frantz Jr. said the Barrett Library contains virtually all the fiction, poetry, drama, and essays published by an American in book form from 1775 to 1876, as well as a very nearly complete collection of the printed works of every major American writer to 1950. In addition to first editions, it includes correspondence, translations, drafts, annotated proof copies, and other literary materials. Barrett, who is a Charlottesville resident and a University of Virginia alumnus, began donating materials from his collection to University of Virginia Alderman Libraiy in the 1950s. He has been president of the Bibliographical Society of America and the American Antiquarian Society, and has chaired libraiy groups at Columbia University, Brown University, and the Pierpont Morgan Library.

• Wellesley College’s Special Collections announces the gift of over 3,000 books from the personal collection of Isabel and Charles Goodman. Encompassing all aspects of American and European book arts, including artists’ books, limited and first editions, fine press books, and illustrated books, the Goodman Collection complements the library’s existing focus on the book arts and history of printing. In addition to the gift of the books, the Goodman family has established the Isabel and Charles Goodman Book Fund to support the purchase of fine press editions and illustrated books, matching the collecting interests of Isable Ehrlich Goodman, class of 1933.

Grants

• California State University, Los Angeles, has received a grant of $14,220 from the United States Institute of Peace to create a comprehensive bibliography which will permit researchers to locate basic literature on contemporary and historical events dealing with arms control and disarmament issues.

• Colgate University received $100,000 from the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations to assist the university in completing the final phase of a multiyear plan to automate Case and Cooley Libraries.

• The Columbia University Libraries have been awarded the second of two grants by the U.S. Department of Education to catalog 5,825 rare books from the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library. The $122,000 grant is also being used to preserve 655 books in fragile condition. While most of the 150,000 volumes in Avery’s Architectural Collection are internationally accessible either through the catalog published in 1968 by G.K. Hall or bibliographic records in RLIN, two collections of rare works remain uncataloged. This two-year, $375,000 project will make these rare—and in some cases, unique—works known to scholars worldwide.

• The Human Sexuality Collection at Cornell University Library has been awarded a grant from the Documentary Heritage Program in New York State. The award provides for hiring a one-year processing archivist who will assist in the arrangement, preservation, and description of 23 manuscript collections of source material documenting aspects of lesbian and gay politics, publishing, and business in N ew York and nationally over the last 40 years.

• The LaGuardia and Wagner Archives at LaGuardia Community College, NewYo0rkCity, has received a $100,000 grant from the New York City Council. This grant will cover the costs of preserving the collection and developing various programs for the recently acquired Wagner family papers. The collection contains the private and public papers, speeches, oral history transcripts, and personal memorabilia of three generations of Wagners—Sen. Robert F. Wagner, congressional leader during the New Deal; three-term mayor of New York City Robert F. Wagner; and Robert F. Wagner Jr., who was deputy mayor in the Koch administration and the former president of the New York City Board of Education.

• TheOhioStateUniversity’sLibraryofthe Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee Theater Research Institute has received a U.S. Department of Education grant of $87,143 for the first year of a project to preserve and provide online bibliographic access to its extensive collection of historical theatrical documents (15th- through 20th-century) in microform. The project, supported by the Title II-C Strengthening Research Library Resources Program, is expected to take two years to complete. The microform collection of 5,100 items on 481 reels represents a unique body of theatrical book and manuscript materials. The preservation portion of the project involves cleaning and copying the microfilm, created mostly in the 1950s, to provide three generations of archival master film, and printing and service copies for usage. The bibliographic control aspect of the project involves creating full-level catalog records for the items in the collection on OCLC.

• Rutgers University’s Alexander Library will receive a Minolta Integrated Information and Image Management System 3000 from Minolta U.S.A. as part of the library’s forthcoming expansion and renovation project. The system, valued at $50,000, is Minolta’s premier electronic image management product. It is capable of accepting data in multiple formats, indexing and storing, and providing a variety of means for retrieval.

• The University of Iowa has received a grant of $752,432 from the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust to establish the Interactive Information Learning Center (IILC). “The goal of the Center is to bring new information technologies into the teaching and research process of the UI campus, using the library as the primary focus in order to link traditional print materials to the electronic information resources,” says university librarian Shelia D. Creth. The center will be located in the Main Library on the Iowa City Campus and will consist of a classroom equipped with 26 workstations, and another 56 workstations for individual and group activities for a total of 80. There will be access to bibliographic and full-text databases, a variety of software to support computer-assisted instruction, and access to communication networks for classroom teaching and individual projects. The proposal was developed as a collaborative effort by librarians, faculty, and technologists on the campus.

• The University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, has received an $80,000 matching grant for establishing a U.S. Patent and Trademark Depository Library to be housed and maintained by the University’s Chester Fritz Library. The grant from the 3M Foundation will be used to acquire and process a 26-year backfile of U.S. Utility patents, a 20-year backfile of U.S. Design and Reissue patents, as well as a backfile of plant patents dating back to 1931.

• Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, has received a grant for $25,000 from the United States Institute of Peace for the acquisition and processing of new materials from Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union on democratization and peace.

News notes

• A database of third-world women’s literary works is being compiled at Gustavus Adolphus College. The database lists over 600 novels, collections of short stories, plays, poetry collections, and personal narratives written by women of the third world. Many of the entries are annotated. The database can be searched by author, title, region, country, and to some extent genre and thematic keyword. Information about new publications is welcome. If you would like to have the database searched and a printout prepared contact: Barbara Fister, Folke Bemadotte Memorial Library, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN 56082; phone (507) 933-7553; internet fister@gacvxl. gac.edu.

• The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, the Library Association of Latvia, and the Latvian State Library will hold a three-day seminar called “Library Services in a Multicultural Environment—East and West” in Riga, Latvia, August 13-16, 1991. Registration information is available from Charles Townley, dean, University Library, New Mexico State University, Box 30006, Dept. 3475, Las Cruces, NM 88003-0006; (505) 646-1509; fax (505) 646-4335.

• Robert Morris College president Edward A. Nicholson and director of libraries Mary Celine Miller participated in an April 15 ribbon-cutting ceremony marking the opening of ROBCAT, an integrated library system for the College. ROBCAT is based on KeyNOTIS, a turnkey product from NOTIS Systems, Inc. Partial funding for the system was made through a grant from the Buhl Foundation, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The new system will serve both the main library at the Robert Morris College Moon Township Campus and the branch library at the college’s Pittsburgh Center. The library holds 115,000 volumes and serves 5,500 students.

The University of California, Santa Barbara's, two-millionth acquisition: A 15th-century French illuminated manuscript.

• The United States Agricultural Information Network Conference, “Electronic Information in the Agricultural Sciences,” will be held October 14-16, 1991, at the Humphrey Institute Conference Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. For information contact: Program Chair, Susan Barnes, Mann Library, Cornell University, P.O. Box D., Ithaca, NY 14853; Phone (607) 255- 7957; e-mail: SJB@Cornellc.bitnet or SJB@ Comellc.CIT.Comell.edu.

• The University of California, Santa Barbara, celebrated the addition of its two millionth volume with a week of festivities entitled “The UCSB Library: Two Million Reasons to Celebrate.” A 15th-century Book of Hours, the two- millionth volume is a French illuminated manuscript which was located when a local family contacted the library for advice on its preservation. The Friends of the UCSB Library are raising funds for purchase of the book which has been appraised at $35,000. Other events include lectures from author and political activist Amiri Baraka (LeRoi Jones) and critic, novelist, and filmmaker Susan Sontag, a talk to local librarians from ALA executive director Linda Crismond, a symposium on freedom of information featuring ALA’s presidentelect Patricia Glass Schuman, and the dedication of the new UCSB online catalog Pegasus.

• The University of Idaho, Moscow, has announced that renovation and addition to its library will begin in August 1990. The 66,000 square foot addition will provide needed space for the growing collection as well as doubling the number of seats for students. After the addition is completed, the interior of the original building will be remodeled to bring the building up to current standards for safety and handicapped access. The nearly $13 million project is expected to be completed in August 1993.

• A set of rare gold coins minted at one of the first private mints in the U.S. and given to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1979 has gone on permanent display in the North Carolina Collection Gallery in UNC’s Wilson Library. The 24 coins, minted in Rutherfordton, N.C., between 1831 and 1842 by German immigrant Christopher Bechtler and his family, were the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Herman W. Bernard of High Point. The coins represent an important part of North Carolina and the nation’s history, because Rutherford County was the principal source of America’s gold supply from 1790-1840.

• Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, has signed a contract with Innovative Interfaces, Inc., of Berkeley, California, to purchase an integrated automated library system. The system will be installed in both the University and Law Libraries. Access to the catalog will be possible from 83 staff and public stations in the University Library, its branches, and the Law Library. It will also be available to any workstation that is ultimately connected to the campus network, enabling faculty to search the catalog from their offices. Dial access will also be possible from off-campus.

Copyright © American Library Association

Article Views (Last 12 Months)

No data available

Contact ACRL for article usage statistics from 2010-April 2017.

Article Views (By Year/Month)

2020
January: 0
February: 4
March: 1
April: 3
May: 2
June: 0