ACRL

College & Research Libraries News

News from the Field

Acquisitions

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’Margaret Herrick Library, Beverly Hills, California, has recently acquired the career papers of the late Cary Grant, donated by Barbara Grant. Although the collection is not an absolutely complete record of the actor’s 34-year film career, the scripts, correspondence, and documents—including a contract for the acrobatic services of 14-yearold Archie Leach (Grant’s real name)—will provide new insights into the work of one of the most important performers in the history of the movies.

The Margaret Herrick Library has also received a donation from Kemp N iver, whose life-long work has been dedicated to the restoration and appreciation of historic film, of his entire collection of books, periodicals, and rare documents on early film history.

In 1954 Niver was presented with a technical achievement Academy Award for the development ofthe “Renovare” process which Niver developed to preserve paper print films, restoring and transferring the paper print copies to modern safety film. Niver modestly credits himself only with having recognized the need and importance of saving the collection of these films stored at the Library of Congress. Paper print films represented the only way filmmakers, prior to 1912, had of securing copyright protection. Rather than send prints of movies on actual film, filmmakers were required to submit paper prints which, although more stable than nitrate film, did not stand the test of time. These forgotten prints, comprising more than 3,000 titles, were deteriorating past the point of repair when Niver took an interest in the massive volunteer job coordinated by the Academy. Niver also developed a printer with a variable aperture that aids in the painstaking process of copying each paper print frame by frame, despite each film’s unique damages. Along with preparing detailed descriptions and cataloging every title stored by the Library of Congress, Niver has authored nine books about the history of these films and the people and companies who made them.

Among the treasured items Niver has donated are hundreds of biographical and historical reference books on the pioneers of cinema and the motion picture industry, especially emphasizing the period 1890 to 1920. Rare periodicals and magazines have also been donated, such as the first volume of Moving Picture World, dated 1907, which was the motion picture industry’s first trade publication, early runs of Nickelodeon, Motography, and Motion Picture News, and nearly sixty years of the still-published American Cinematographer, which began in 1930. Niver also donated a scrapbook of Biograph ads, original issues of The Biograph house organ, and copies of rare production records of the Biograph Company.

Central Missouri State University Library, Warrensburg, has acquired the Missouri and Kansas records of legal executions from the Capital Punishment Research Project of Headland, Alabama. M. Watt Espy Jr., one of the country’s leading experts on capital punishment, has documented over 16,000 executions in the United States dating from 1608. The collection consists of over 400 executions in both Missouri and Kansas. The research files also include numerous other documents relating to the death penalty7.

The International Theatre Institute of the United States(ITI/US), New York City, has announced the availability of its recent Theatre of Latin AmericaCollection. The TO LA Collection consists of2,650 items documenting modern theatre in twenty countries of Latin America and the Caribbean. A grant of $23,280 from the Ford Foundation Supported the six-month process of cataloging and housing 466 books; 1,277 plays (including 455 manuscripts); 153 issues of a wide range of periodicals; 307 programs and playbills; 147 photographs; 300 clippings, pamphlets, monographs, and brochures.

The Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center(HAM-TMC) Library has received the papers of Nobel Laureate Philip S. Hench. The Philip S. Hench Papers, a significant resource for the study of 20th-century medicine, were donated to the library by P. Kahler Hench, of La Jolla, California, to help establish a research center at the library for the history of rheumatology. This collection (130 cubic feet) of research papers, office files, books, and correspondence documents Hench’s career as a physician with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Hench was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1950 for research in the development of cortisone for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. The papers also reflect Hench’s participation in organizing the American Rheumatism Association (now the American College of Rheumatology), in the American College of Physicians, and in developing rheumatism centers for theU.S. Medical Corps duringWorld War II.

The Library of Congress has been presentedwith microfilm copies of archival documents of the Ottoman Empire. The microfilm copies are a gift from the Turkish government, which has recently made the original documents available in Istanbul for study by academic researchers. The government has also streamlined the process of applying for research permission—now scholars need only to identify themselves at the archives and fill out a short application form. Currently, work has been completed on classifying and cataloging all documents covering the period from 1691 to 1894 and these documents have been made available to the public. They number approximately 10,000. Work on the remaining materials of this period will be added to the already available documents as soon as their processing is completed. Fifteen microfil m copies of the documents on the Ottoman-Armenian history for the years 1691-1894 are being presented to major libraries all over the world. In addition to the Library of Congress, these include such facilities as the Bibliothèque Nationale and the British Museum Library.

LC has also acquired the only known set in the original paper bindings of the first edition of Alexis de Tocqueville’s celebrated classic, De la démocratie en Amérique. Published in Paris in 1835, De la démocratie en Amérique is one of the most quoted books about American culture and character. The genius of De la démocratie en Amérique is that its author realized that changes in political structure were only a part of what was new about the American democratic experiment, and that social manners, art, business, education, religion, and even land ownership patterns were also affected by the egalitarian conditions existing in the United States. The Library’s newly acquired copy of De la démocratie en Amérique will be housed in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division. It is on display in a 250-item exhibit, “A Passion for Liberty: Alexis de Tocquevilleon Democracy and Revolution,’’which is drawn from Library of Congress collections and those of Château de Tocqueville in Normandy, France.

The McGill University Libraries’ Depart -ment of Rare Books and Special Collections, Montreal, Quebec, has been awarded a repatriation grant of $99,000 by the Cultural Property Board to assist the library in acquiring the literary papers of biographer and critic Leon Edel. The papers consist of correspondence, manuscripts, journals, books, and research material. Examples of the most outstanding material include extensive correspondence with Canadian writers such as A. M. Klein, A. J. M. Smith, Leo Kennedy, Dorothy Livesay,andF. R. Scott, 50years of Edel’s personal journals, and all of Edel’s working papers for his life-long work on Henryjames.

The Miami University Libraries, Oxford,Ohio, have received the Ferdinand Bach Collection of Native American Materials, 122 titles concentrating on the printed works of Henry R. Schoolcraft, from the library of Swiss emigrant F erdinand Bach. The major focus of the collection is the Old Northwest Territory and the Woodland cultures of the Native Americans of that region. The collection is housed in the Walter Havighurst Special Collections Library. The donors, Mr. and Mrs. Ferdinand Bach III, also arranged for a contribution from Armco Steel Corporation, Middletown, Ohio, for conservation of the collection.

The New York State Library’s Manuscriptsand Special Collections Unit, Albany, has received the papers of the Society of American Indians. The collection consists of the correspondence of Arthur C. Parker, secretary of the society from 1911 to 1915 and first editor of the society’s journal, the American Indian Magazine. Parker, whose father was a Seneca Indian, was an anthropologist and one of the prominent leaders of Native Americans in the 20th century. The papers have been microfilmed by Scholarly Resources and are available at the State Libraiy for research. The microfilm is also available for interlibrary loan.

The University of California at Berkeley’sBancroft Library recently received a gift from the Friends of the Bancroft Library of six albumen photographs of the Alvinza Hayward Residence, San Mateo, California, circa 1886, by the San Francisco photographer I. W. Taber. The photographs are mounted on their original ruled mats, and bear annotations which suggest the original owner’s detailed knowledge of the building and its contents. The architect, G. W. Percy, of the firm Percy & Hamilton, is twice identified. The woodwork in the main salon, which was finished in mahogany and satin brocade, cost $5,000—the price of a very substantial house in 1886. The owner and builder, Alvinza Hayward, who occupied the massive, Queen Anne-style mansion with his wife and daughter, is reputed to have been the richest man in California. During the 1860s he extracted over $25 million worth of ore from his Hayward Mine at Crown Point. When Hayward died in 1904, this home at Hayward Avenue and Laurel became the fashionable Peninsula Hotel which flourished until its destruction by fire in 1920.

The University of Kentucky, Lexington, hasbeen chosen by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), a federal-state agency devoted to the economic and social development of the 13- state region, as the new home for its library and archives. The collection, now housed at the ARC offices in Washington, D.C., is expected to be moved later this year to the University of Kentucky Library’s Division of Special Collections and Archives. The collection consists of transcripts of ARC meetings, state development plans, final project reports, correspondence, ARC research reports and legislation, oral histories, and literature about the region.

The University of Kentucky Library has also acquired a large private collection of books gathered more than a century ago. The library was collected by George Howk, a Cynthiana businessman, between about 1850 and 1881 and consists of about 2,000 volumes on a variety of subjects, including Kentucky and world history, natural science, world travel, and literature. The books will be housed in the UK Library’s Department of Special Collections and Archives. Because of their significance as a complete private library, the books will be kept together as a collection. The private library has remained intact at Howk’s home in Cynthiana for more than a century.

The Kentucky-American Water Co. has donated its historic files which date back to the company’s founding in 1885 to the University of Kentucky, Lexington. The collection provides a detailed record of Lexington’s growth, particularly during the early 20 th century. One of the earliest documents is the first handwritten annual report when the company was called the Lexington Hydraulic and Manufacturing Company. Among the early customers listed are Belle Brezing and jockey Isaac Murphy. The collection includes many earlyphotographs, including one showing convicts digging the city’s first reservoir.

Grants

Columbia University has been awarded morethan $2 million by the National Endowment for the Humanities to preserve 31,000 books in its noted Western civilization collection. The $2,016,700 grant, the largest for book preservation in Columbia’s history, will fund a three-year effort to repair 12,000 volumes, replace 7,000 with reprintings or new editions, and place 12,000 on microfilm. It will cover books on European philosophy and religion, classics and ancient, medieval, and modern history. The Western civilization preservation project is the largest Columbia has yet undertaken. Previous efforts have focused on narrower subject areas and used fewer preservation processes. Most of the books have deteriorated because they were printed on acidic paper. It is critical that the library staff accelerate efforts to save these materials before they become too brittle to place on microfilm.

Cornell University’s Mann Library of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Ithaca, New York, has received a $550,000 grant from the Rockefeller Foundation to identify the core literature of the agricultural sciences that is appropriate for education and research in Third World countries. Mann has been identifying the core literature of agricultural economics and rural sociology for eighteen months. The Rockefeller grant for four years will enable concentration on Third World needs and extension into other subject disciplines. The installed computers in the Third World are significant and expanding rapidly, which has enabled distribution of CD-ROM citation databases to Third Worldlibraries. These databases provide the impetus to solve the problem of access to the published literature. Before optical disktechnology can be used to solve the problem of full-text delivery, the vast array of literature must be sorted through to identify the core that provides optimal value to researchers, academicians, advanced students, and policy makers in the agricultural sciences. This work will identify the appropriate titles for full-text entry onto compact disks for worldwide distribution. It is estimated that this core can be contained on 40 compact disks. The core literature will be determined by citation analysis and other bibliometric techniques, and be qualitatively reviewed by specialists in eight subject disciplines. The work will be published in eight volumes: Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Agricultural Engineering, Plant Sciences-Basic, Plant Sciences-Applied, Animal Science, Economic Entomology, Forestry and Silviculture, and Soil Sciences. An international advisory board is being established with Third World librarians and scientists. Beginning with engineering, each volume will have a steering committee. The project will work closely with the professional societies in the U. S. for each of the subjects to be studied.

Franklin and Marshall College’s Shadek Library, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, has received a grant in the amount of $10,000 from the L. J. Skaggs and Mary C. Skaggs Foundation of Oakland, California, to restore rare 18th-century broadsides and Frakturschriften in the library’s extensive German- American Imprint Collection. This is the second grant Franklin and Marshall College has received from the Skaggs foundation for this purpose.

Georgetown University Library, Washington, D.C., has been awarded a HEA Title II-C renewal grant of $78,176 from the U.S. Department of Education to fund the second year of a proj ect to create a cumulative index to Georgetown’s Jesuit and Jesuit-related manuscript and archival holdings. The three-year project will eventually bring together in a single index, accessible via microcomputer, data derived from 1500 linear feet of records spanning the years 1551 to 1970.

Harvard University’s Tozzer Library has receiveda grant of $45,000 from the Ford Foundation to subsidize subscriptions to Anthropological Literature (AL), a bibliographic index produced at Tozzer since 1979. For more than 75 years, the Tozzer library has indexed articles in journals and edited compilations received by the library. These articles were published in AL beginning in 1979. Since anthropology is by nature an interdisciplinary field, Tozzer as a research library, collects internationallypublished literature on a broad range of subjects in addition to anthropology. When indexed, this literature gives researchers access to a broad spectrum of international scholarship. AL is an important resource, not only because of the breadth of Tozzer’s collections, but because the latest research findings are generally published in articles rather than books.

Humboldt State University Foundation,Arcata, California, has received a grant of $70,180 to collect and preserve records created by Northcoast labor that represent the diverse community history of the area. The project will establish the California NorthcoastLabor/Community Archives at the University.

Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia,has been awarded a $3,000 grant from the West Virginia Department of Culture and History to develop a master plan for graphics and signage in the James E. Morrow Library.

Michigan State University Library, EastLansing, has received a gift of $20,000 to establish the Beatrice V. Grant Endowment Fund for the Preservation and Acquisition of Rare Books in Cookery. The fund, created by Rhoda Grant to honor her late sister who taught in MSU’s College of Human Ecology, will further strengthen MSU’s Cookery Collection. This collection currently numbers over 3,700 books dating from the 16th century to the present. It is housed in the University Library’s Special Collections Division.

The Parkland College Library in Cham-paign, Illinois, has recently received a National Endowment for the Humanities grant in the amount of $ 11,989 to support an exhibit that will study the role of print advertising in shaping social, economic, and cultural life in key historical periods from 1890 to 1970. The exhibit will use resources from the D’Arcy Collection at the University of Illinois, a broad collection of nearly two million original print-media advertisements published in American newspapers during those years.

Stanford University’s Hoover Institution willuse its recent National Endowment for the Humanities grant of $64,042 to support the preservation microfilming of 1,438 books, periodicals, government papers, and pamphlets that document the career and political impact of Argentine leader Juan Peron.

The Texas Tech University Library has re-cently received a Gloria Lyerla Libraiy Memorial Fund Research Travel Grant. The grant, $500, was awarded to Edward Steinhart of the Texas Tech Department of History to assist in travel to the Public Record Office in London, England. Steinhart’s research is on the social history of hunting in Kenya. The Gloria Lyerla Library Memorial Fund was established by friends and family to assist Texas Tech University researchers with meeting the costs of travel to research collections of libraries, archives, museums, or other repositories throughout the world.

The University of California, Los Angeles,has recently received an $80,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. The grant will support a traveling exhibition with a catalog of essays about the influence of the French Encyclopédie on the history of ideas, and the international spread and evolution of the concept of the encyclopedia from 1750 to 1850.

The University of Florida, Gainesville, hasreceived a grant of $22,654 to preserve, arrange, and describe over 350 cubic feet of records and 400 microfilm reels related to the university’s agricultural program at the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences and its predecessors.

The University of Kansas, Lawrence, has receivedagift of $6.5 million from Nancy and Philip Anschutz of Denver. This gift has been included in Campaign Kansas, the largest fund-raising drive in KU’s history. The couple’s gift will establish a library endowment in honor of his parents, Marian and Fred Anschutz. Income from the Marian and Fred Anschutz Endowed Library Fund will support library acquisitions.

The University of Pittsburgh’s School of Libraryand Information Science (SLIS) has received a three-year $ 197,200 grant from the Buhl Foundation to develop a comprehensive continuing education program of professional development for information professionals throughout Western Pennsylvania. In developing the program, SLIS will establish a CD-ROM Information Lab to be used by information professionals engaged in continuing education in the region. The Lab will also include a CD-ROM Software Evaluation Center. As principal investigator, Mary K. Biagini, associate dean and associate professor in the Department of Library Science at SLIS, will manage the project. To carry out the work, Biagini will survey alumni, administrators and library and information science professionals throughout the area to determine basic continuing education needs. The grant provides funds for staff to plan and carry out the program. A project advisory council will work with Biagini throughout the three-year life of the grant.

Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland,has received grants from the Surdna Foundation, Inc., the Charles E. Culpeper Foundation, Inc., and the Charles A. Frueauff Foundation, Inc., all from New York, in the amounts of $100,000, $50,000, and $ 15,000 respectively, to support the completion of its retrospective conversion and implementation of an automated library system. The project will incorporate the library’s card catalog system into the campus computer network.

Whitman College of Walla Walla, Washington, has received a grant of $81,000 from the M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust ofVancouver, Washington, to be used for automating catalog and circulation systems in the college’s Penrose Memorial Library. When the setup is completed, library patrons will be able to search the library’s holdings from computer terminals rather than using the traditional card catalog.

Yeshiva University Libraries, New York City, has received a $25,000 grant from the New York State Discretionary Grant Program. This grantwill support the microfilming of some 400 rare manuscripts, including a 15th-century manuscript of the SeMak, the Sefer Mitzvot Katan (Small Book of Precepts) by the French ritualist Isaac ben Joseph of Corbeil on vellum with four small pen and ink drawings. The manuscripts intended for microfilming come from the Libraries’ Rare Book Room Manuscript Collection. They date from the 15th through 20th centuries and consist of commentaries on Bible and Talmud ( rabbinic interpretations of Jewish law) Halakhah (Jewish law), homiletics, Musar (morals), philosophy, Kabbalah (mysticism), and rabbinic correspondence. While both the Sephardi (Jews of Spanish descent) and Ashkenazi (Eastern European Jews) traditions are reflected in the collection, the majority of manuscripts were written by rabbis in Germany and Poland during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.

News notes

The University of Iowa Libraries was awarded the Library Public Relations Council best library newsletter of 1989 award at the June American Library Association Annual Conference in Dallas, Texas. The University of Iowa Libraries newsletter is sent twice yearly to all F riends of the U niversity Libraries, faculty, and other interested persons. The Library Public Relations Council, an international organization that promotes the development of effective public relations skills for library public relations practitioners, received over 350 submissions in nine award categories.

University of Minnesota completes RECON project

The University of Minnesota Libraries have reached their goal of creating an online catalog that includes a record for every officially cataloged, Roman-alphabet title held in the libraries. The 1.9 million records in the libraries’ NOTIS-based catalog, LU M IN A ( Libraries of the U niversity of Minnesota Integrated Network Access), include 1.35 million retrospective conversion records, plus records for all University of Minnesota titles cataloged on OCLC, RLIN, and LUMINA, and records for all titles on order.

LUMINA is the University of Minnesota’s automated library system that has been in use since the fall ofl987. All of the bibliographic records, after being entered into LUMINA, were loaded into both the OCLC and RLIN national databases. Support for the project, which has been going on for over three years, was provided by the Bush Foundation as well as matching funds from other sources.

The projects were managedby Christina Meyer, head of the Database Management Division at the University of Minnesota Libraries. The libraries are now turning their attention to the enhancement of LUMINA through the addition of records for titles not yet included, such as analytics for major microfilm sets, U.S. Government Printing Office records, and records for archival and manuscript materials.

Copyright © American Library Association

Article Views (Last 12 Months)

No data available

Contact ACRL for article usage statistics from 2010-April 2017.

Article Views (By Year/Month)

2021
January: 2
February: 3
March: 2
April: 1
May: 2
June: 2
July: 2
August: 2
September: 5
October: 2
2020
January: 0
February: 2
March: 4
April: 0
May: 2
June: 2
July: 3
August: 0
September: 1
October: 1
November: 2
December: 3
2019
January: 0
February: 0
March: 0
April: 0
May: 0
June: 0
July: 0
August: 5
September: 4
October: 3
November: 0
December: 3