ACRL

College & Research Libraries News

News from the Field

Acquisitions

The Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., has acquired the collections of the National Translations Center (NTC) from the John Crerar Library of the University of Chicago. NTC is an international depository and referral center for helping users locate unpublished translations of foreign-language literature in the natural, physical, medical, and social sciences. Its files contain information on the whereabouts of approximately 1,000,000 translations, including 400,000 full-text translations held directly by the center. The transfer is being made to strengthen the activities of the NTC by collocating it with the collections of the Library of Congress.

The Library has also acquired the papers of Armand Hammer, 90, board Chairman of Occidental Petroleum Corporation. Hammer’s career has spanned most of the 20th century and includes contacts with most of the Soviet leadership from Lenin to Gorbachev; all American Presidents since Hoover; and numerous other world leaders. Correspondence in the collection includes letters from Lenin, as well as items relating to Hammer’s strong support for Roosevelt’s foreign policy on the eve of World War II; his involvement in post-war famine relief; and his efforts to help resolve U.S.-U.S.S.R. tensions regarding detente, the state of Israel, the plight of Jewish refuseniks, the release of journalist Nick Daniloff, and the conflict in Afghanistan. The collection also includes an extensive amount of microfiche containing replicas of personal letters, dating back as early as 1825, written by prominent 19thand 20th-century artists such as John Constable, Rembrandt Peale, Winslow Homer, and John Singer Sargent. The microfiche are from Knoedler’s Gallery in New York, the oldest art gallery in the country, of which Hammer is chairman.

The State University of New York at Albany has acquired the papers of emigré economists Karl Pribram (1877-1973) and George F. Rohrlich (1914- ) for its German Intellectual Emigré Collection. Pribram worked in the German government and as a professor and researcher in both Germany and the U.S. Rohrlich also worked for the German government, then became a professor in the U.S. The papers include correspondence, manuscripts, offprints, and other materials pertaining to the economists’ lives and work.

The State University of New York at Buffalo Foundation has acquired for its archives the most significant papers of Congressman Jack Kemp, who served in the Congress for 18 years. In 1988 he declined to run for re-election and has since been appointed by President Bush as Director of Housing and Urban Development. The papers include Kemp’s campaign files and economic papers detailing his interests in international trade, tax reform programs, urban enterprise zones, and proposed changes in housing laws.

The University of Kentucky Library, Lex- ington, has received two donations of family papers that provide unique glimpses into life during the 19th century. The first group, donated by Hazel Green, documents the life of Lexington resident Samuel S. Oldham, a freed slave, and his family between 1830 and 1870. Included is an 1849 letter of introduction signed by Lexington’s mayor, and an 1851 contract whereby Oldham’s daughter Fanny is sold to her father and her husband for the purpose of emancipating her. The second group of papers was donated by the Storey family of Lexington and contains personal letters exchanged among members of several Tennessee, Georgia, and Texas families as early as 1841. The letters describe life during the settlement of Texas, the Civil War, and post-war industrialization and land speculation.

The University of Oregon’s Knight Library, Eugene, has opened the records of the International Woodworkers of America (IWA) to researchers. The records, donated to the university in July 1987 upon division of the international union into two national unions, span the years 1936 to 1987 and fill nearly 600 linear feet of shelf space. They consist of correspondence, minutes, proceedings, negotiation files, expired contracts, legal and financial documents, and officer and departmental records. Well-documented are the union’s basic activities in the areas of organizing, negotiating, litigating, and striking. Other topics of interest include the conflict between the “red bloc” and the “white bloc” forces in the union during the 1940s and 1950s; the issue of Canadian softwood lumber imports; national health insurance; labor law reform; affirmative action; and occupational safety and health.

The University of Texas at Arlington’s Special Collections Department has acquired the photographs of the late Fort Worth commercial photographer Will S. Wood Jr. Wood owned and operated the Bill Wood Photo Company from 1937-1973; his father had begun the business in 1930. The collection includes 9,000 black and white prints and 35 negatives dating from 1939-1967. The photographs of such subjects as weddings, family gatherings, business enterprises, manufacturing processes, machinery, real estate, and inventions, document both the rapid changes of technology and fashions of the period, and the enduring rituals of home and family life.

Grants

Cornell University has received a $360,000 grant from the Henry Luce Foundation for its John M. Echols Southeast Asia Collection Projects. The award is part of $8 million given by the Luce Foundation to several Southeast Asia centers including the Library of Congress and the Research Libraries Group. The money will be used at Cornell for preservation, microfilming, and online catalog conversion, as well as for the creation of a graduate student post for candidates in the write-up stage of their dissertations, who will prepare bibliographic essays about Cornell’s holdings in their language of expertise. Cornell has the most extensive holdings in Indonesian, Thai, Burmese, Khmer, Vietnamese, and Lao outside of those countries, but no adequate descriptions of those vernacular collections exist. Other projects involve filming manuscripts in Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand; retrospective conversion of existing vernacular holdings; and continued assistance to university library development in Burma and Cambodia as part of exchange agreements.

Drexel University’s College of Information Studies, Philadelphia, has received a grant of more than $100,000 from the Department of Education to enable five of its faculty members to study the impact of library automation at Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges. The “Drexel Tri-College Research Project” will focus on the impact of the three colleges’ shift from manual catalogs to a joint online catalog of their holdings. Begun in October 1988, the project will continue until September 1991.

The Harvard University Library, Cambridge, has been awarded a $120,000 Title II-C grant from the Strengthening Research Library Resources Program to film materials too fragile or rare to withstand heavy use of interlibrary lending, and to improve bibliographic control of its collections of master microfilm negatives. The grant will enable the library to preserve research materials in six areas: 10-K reports of the Securities and Exchange Commission; rare books in block-print from the 13th to 15th centuries; American Unitarian Association letter-books from 1841 to 1850; Austrian and German labor newspapers devoted to individual industries; the papers of landscape architect Charles Eliot; and scrapbook collections including correspondence and ephemera of noteworthy U.S. women. Records of master negatives will be prepared for input in the national databases and for production of special lists. Film copies of everything reproduced will be available for loan.

The Ohio University Libraries, Athens, have been awarded a $104,705 II-C grant for cataloging into the OCLC database more than 4,000 monographic titles produced by the Library of Congress Jakarta Office’s Southeast Asia Microfiche Project in 1987-1988. With the completion of this project, all of the fiche produced since the program’s inception in 1978, except 1,100 serial titles produced in 1987-1988, will be available on the OCLC system and as Major Microforms Projects for tape-loading into local systems.

The Research Libraries Group, Stanford, Cal- ifornia, has been awarded a $1 million NEH Office of Preservation grant to support the Great Collections Microfilming Project aimed at filming some 27,000 volumes of the key scholarly collections of RLG’s members. The three-year project, beginning in October 1989, will involve the libraries of seven RLG member institutions: Columbia, Cornell, Michigan, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale Universities, and the New York Public Library. The subject areas targeted for filming include American history, German literature, Chinese history, and other humanities disciplines.

RLG has also been awarded a $385,697 grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission to enable six state and two municipal archives to participate in a two-year, online government records project. The eight archives include the state archives of Georgia, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, and Virginia, along with the District of Columbia archives and the Georgia Historical Society (official archives of the city of Savannah). They will add some 30,000 entries—principally descriptions of government and other organizational records—to the RLIN database, which received more than 27,000 records from seven other state archives in 1988.

The University of California at Los Angeles and the University of California at San Diego have received jointly a $60,000 grant from the Japan- United States Friendship Commission to support Japanese acquisitions in their libraries.

The University of Missouri-Columbia Li- braries have received a $500,000 NEH challenge grant to establish two endowments for library collections in the humanities, one for acquisitions and another for preservation. The fund is expected to generate $90,000 to $100,000 for acquisitions annually, which could provide approximately 3,000 volumes. Materials that might be underwritten by the endowment include musical recordings on compact disk, subscriptions to scholarly journals, foreign language works, music scores, back files of important journals on microfilm, and databases and/or full-text retrieval systems on CD-ROM or laser disks. The endowment for preservation would produce an estimated $40,000 annually, and would be used to restore or microfilm the Libraries’ collections in history and literature.

News notes

The California State University, Long Beach, Library held its millionth-volume celebration on December 8, 1988. The address for the occasion was delivered by Robert Wedgeworth, dean of the School of Library Service, Columbia University, following presentation ceremonies and the first public demonstration of the library’s newly installed NOTIS catalog. A first edition of the 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language in two volumes by Noah Webster was presented to university president Curtis L. McCray as the millionth and millionth and first volumes. The dictionary was a gift of the Library Associates, a community support organization. The Oxford English Dictionary on Compact Disk, produced by Tri- Star Publishing in 1988, was presented as the first title in the second million. The compact disk is a gift from the Associated Students, a university student governance organization. A special poster was designed for the occasion (see cover).

Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, New York, has established the Larry Earl Bone Collection on American Literature in honor of Bone’s outstanding contribution to the library profession. Bone, who served as Mercy’s director of libraries for 12 years, retired at the end of January 1989 but remains on the faculty as a professor of library science.

A New Mexico Consortium of Academic Li- braries has been established by the state’s twoand four-year colleges and universities. Phyllis Dillard, coordinator of the Dona Ana Branch Community College Library and Media Center, has been elected the consortium’s first president; Hiram Davis, New Mexico State University dean of libraries, is president-elect; and Julia White, New Mexico State University-Carlsbad librarian, is secretary-treasurer. The consortium is designed to provide academic librarians with a forum for the discussion of common goals and ongoing communication among academic libraries in New Mexico. It will provide the means to devise and carry out statewide projects of common usefulness such as enhanced cooperation in resource sharing, collection development, and improved funding for library acquisitions.

Copyright © American Library Association

Article Views (Last 12 Months)

No data available

Contact ACRL for article usage statistics from 2010-April 2017.

Article Views (By Year/Month)

2020
January: 0
February: 2
2019
January: 0
February: 0
March: 0
April: 0
May: 0
June: 0
July: 0
August: 5
September: 4
October: 3
November: 0
December: 3